Thursday 13 January 2011

Art

For some reason in a discussion I noticed in myself a frustration when hearing mention of Art (in this sense I'm purely talking about art displayed in galleries). Whilst I've certainly never found myself enamored with the medium I didn't notice such strong, stark, negative feelings in me before.

I suppose this post will most likely constitute a bit of a rant, but there are certain elements of my vastly unfair and irrational criticism that might have some legitimacy. Let me be clear, my problems with the medium lie less in its value as creative expression, but rather with the 'art world'.

It's perhaps best to start with the oddity that put me down this road of thought in the first place. In art I feel there is a great need (seemingly greater than any other medium) for uniqueness. Galleries pay millions to hang paintings, to show sculptures and to display installations created by the original artist. Whilst it may be worth paying for a first edition or original manuscript of a famous book, the intention is certainly that these works were meant to be distributed - the wider the better. Copying a novel, poem or film doesn't depreciate the value of the art itself, only the physical vehicle by which it is delivered.

Somehow this principle is reversed in the art world. The physical 'vehicle' is seemingly more important than any other identical copy. Even an indistinguishably similar forgery is worth infinitely less than the original, regardless of the emotion it evokes in the onlooker.

Conversely an undetected forgery is somehow worth exactly the same as the original. Only when its authenticity is assessed - using increasingly complicated techniques - does the value ever come into question.

There seems to be a necessary amount of self-denial required to make this system work - a false importance needed to be injected by the viewer, rather than a universal importance.

This question of the importance of authenticity and historicity is addressed - and in my opinion, adequately answered - in the Philip K Dick novel, The Man in the High Castle. The creation of art has greater value than the objects which physically embody this value and the connection we place in the object is subjective: seeing Lincoln's top hat might be significant because Lincoln wore it, but the hat itself has no value - after all, it is just a hat. It did not free the slaves nor perform the Gettysberg address nor die in a theatre. However, it does serve the purpose of an emotional conduit, through which we can feel a connection to its famous owner. We search, perhaps naively, for a connection to the long-gone subject through the object.

For all my ranting, I don't have any problem with this. Ultimately the connection we feel is genuine and important. For instance, I would never take away the mementos of a long dead friend for the purile reason of it not being 'real'.

However, what I do take issue with is the monetary valuing of this commodity; this emotional connection. A process that ultimately strikes me as incredibly undemocratic.

To make a(~nother) preposterous analogy, if Bill Gates, or any other infinitely rich person, were to buy the only copy of a literary work to form part of their private collection, there would be uproar. Ok, maybe not if it were Russell Brands Bookey Wook, but for virtually any text with remote artistic value, this would be shocking.

It is my belief that techonolgy will provide the ultimate liberation of Art from the shackles of oligarchical economic control. After all, it is the invention of the printing press that allow William Tyndale to take advantage and disseminate great works to the public. This act was of course illegal and Tyndale's punishment was infamously dire. We owe much as a society to the sacrifice he and others made.

I also read (rather fondly) that it was acts of literary piracy that allowed the spread of the works of Robert Louis Stevenson abroad to Australian and American readers, where he received his greatest fame and praise.

I am also at this point inclined to once again mention The Man in the High Castle, in which the fictional novel, The Grasshopper Lies Heavy is spread both illegally and widely.

To draw more modern parallels, it is the internet that has allowed widespread distribution of digital media. So perhaps, one day, we will wonder around virtual art galleries, where every man woman and child can hold a great work of art in their hands; barriers of distance or cost long dissolved. Perhaps we will wonder what it must've been like to live in a world so restricted.

Rant OVER and out.

4 comments:

  1. Quite a thought provoking post although I don't see why it is such a surprise that undetected forgeries are of the same subjective value as the real thing. These forgeries invariably mimic the style of the "real artist" and the perceptible differences between a high fidelity forgery and the real artwork will be small. An undetected forgery in the mind of the beholder represents everything they admire about the original artist.

    I also do not agree that technology will free us from the supposed oligarchal economic control of art. I would argue that we already have the technological means to achieve what you described and therefore the central issue is what aspect of art makes it vulnerable to such control? I believe that our notions about antiquity and being in possession of something unique and irreproducible (by the original artist) leads to artwork which fulfill these notions to carry a high economic value. This also explains why art surges in value directly prior to an artist's death (if it is known that the artist will die soon) and of course, after an artist's death.

    I suspect that virtual galleries will become more widespread; as will e-books. However for the same reason that an e-book cannot truly replace the possession of a physical copy for a bibliophile, the virtual gallery will never match the real experience of actually travelling through a gallery [at least for an art enthusiast]. I think that travelling through the an actual gallery has an intrinsic value which will be difficult to replace in the virtual sphere.

    P.S now that I've responded to your blog I expect more commentary on American/British politics and if you STILL don't know who this is, ponder upon the kind of person who would find solace in finding a person who doesn't think that READING is a deviant and potentially pathological behaviour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose the point I was trying to raise was that if there is an undetected forgery, then why bother testing it? If art were simply about the works being produced then the product should be all that matters.

    I would maintain your point about our current technology not being sufficient to convert most readers/art-fans. However the beauty of technology is its dynamism and constant strife for improvement. It's entirely conceivable to me that one day technology will be advanced to the point where any sensation is replicable via virtual means. This is perhaps the only stage at which the 'true' experience can be duplicated.

    This point is obviously way beyond our lifetimes, but I believe the principle still stands.

    Also, Mr Not-so-anonymous, your commentary is thoroughly welcome. I only expect more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't argue with that response in any meaningful way to be honest; as much as the contrarian in me would like to.

    P.S this is too well written to be a rant, too coherent to be labelled as a stream of consciousness and too civilised to be seen as diatribe. Therefore I have no idea as to what I should call this....

    ReplyDelete
  4. How you flatter! Call it 'rubbish'.

    And not having a meaningful response should never stop you! It should only force you to come up with meaningless self-indulgent drivel.

    That's just my view though....

    ReplyDelete