Sunday 9 May 2010

Firefly: Second Opinion

Ok, so it's not exactly a second opinion, seeing as it's pretty much the same opinion I had before but now I've just watched more. If you didn't read my original post, I can pretty much sum it up by saying that Firefly is the greatest sci-fi show ever made...In fact, why don't we go all the way? It's also the best adventure show ever made and beats the crap out of most dramas and comedies too. It's awesome, genre-spanning stuff.

I'm halfway through the series now - after spending the past two days locked to my TV - and have just finished watching Jaynestown. This episode really struck me for two reasons: firstly, it's an exceptional episode and secondly, Joss didn't write it.

I'm a huge fan of Whedon's shows and I've always liked that he uses the same core writing staff. There is something that does niggle at me though. Almost all the best Angel, Buffy and Dollhouse episodes are written and/or directed by Whedon himself. Seriously, he's just always amazing. His episodes are the smartest, funniest and most moving.

It seems like a weird criticism to say that Whedon is just TOO good, but he really does outshine his writing staff by a significant amount. I've always felt that others should get a shot. I was pretty stoked when I found out this episode was written by Ben Edlund, mastermind of the brilliant Angel episode, Smile Time. To keep it brief, Jaynestown is also incredible. So kudos, Mr Edlund!

Jayne, a character that mainly serves as the comic relief, has a real meaty story here to help flesh out and develop his character. I love how Whedon's shows don't ever forget the little guy - or in Jayne's case, the very BIG little guy! The episode is funny, moving and deep. Edlund manages to work in an incredibly interesting sub-plot for River and Book covering humanity's need for faith and spirituality whilst simultaneously using Jayne's main plot to challenge our nature of relying on those greater than us (i.e. God) to make our future better. This isn't just an episode. This is an essay, presenting both arguments and supporting them. IN-CRED-IBLE stuff.

In the other episodes I watched there has been much done to build on the solid foundation of the premiere. Best of all is Mal and Inara's relationship which, as I alluded to before, could very well be Joss's best on-screen romance, providing ample (and well-exploited) opportunity for both comedy and drama. I can't imagine myself ever getting tired of their fiery passion and constant conflict.

Credit is due to the writing staff who consistently manage to make Inara's role link in seamlessly with the work of Mal's crew, without ever appearing contrived or peculiar. Even though she works alone they manage to incorporate her into every episode. Whether she's on an 'ambassadorial' mission or with the rest of the crew, it always feels like she belongs on Serenity. Nothing breaks that reality and reminds you that you're watching a TV show. It all just feels right.

I love how the documentary-style shaky cam is used for all the shots on the ship to help maintain this realism. For all you Battlestar fans, this was done over 2 years before BSG was made. In fact, by comparison, Battlestar just seems so over-the-top. Every event is so GODSDAMN life-threatening that the camera has to move around at 100mph just to keep up with all the GODSDAMN FRAKKING important stuff. It's hard to watch that series without getting carsick.

However, Firefly has a gentle, natural shake and they use just the right amount of lens flare. They juxtapose the function and fluidity of running a crew of space pirates with the stillness and eerie beauty of space. It looks stunning and sets a great tone for the show - perfect for the whole Space-Cowboy theme.

Brilliant writing. Brilliant direction. Based on what I've seen so far, I'd be tempted to say that this show is perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment