Tuesday 25 May 2010

Supernatural

I have a rule when it comes to TV programming. If something is available on ITV2, then it's just not worth watching. Every rule needs its exceptions though and for this one it's Supernatural.

The show initially appeared to fit neatly in the CW's lineup of glossy aspirational teen dramas (of which it is safe to say I am no fan). I long avoided the show on this basis. However, at some point or another I was browsing on TV.com and saw that Supernatural was the top rated show. I generally don't put too much faith in these online ratings, but I was surprised to see so many people enjoy a show I hadn't even given a second glance to.

I was intrigued and had nothing better to do, so I gave it a shot. I was impressed. The pilot was dark, mysterious and exciting. After a few follow-up episodes I thought the series would fizzle out, but it kept going strong. In fact, it seemed to just get better and better.

The format is unusual for an American series. First off, it's anthological, with very little connecting each episode. The cast consists of only two recurring characters. Two. This is no ensemble.

The brothers, Sam and Dean, are 'Hunters' travelling from back-water town to back-water town to rescue the townsfolk from various paranormal evils. They're 'heroes', but their work is often difficult and imperfect. They don't save everyone, they don't always do the right thing and they often end up questioning what they do.

It's a compelling fantasy drama, with interesting, multi-dimensional, human protagonists who travel around 'kicking ass'. They visit untraditional locales and tell the untold story of small-town America.

Somehow this programme has convinced me that rural America is kinda cool. I have fantasies of driving in their Chevy Impala, listening to rock n roll whilst on my way to some dive bar in Hicksville, USA. How do they make this cool?

The programme increases in complexity from season to season, getting better and better. Much of this is due to great guest stars and consistently innovative writing.

However, I've just begun watching the fifth (and final) season and am questioning my allegiance. Without giving away any spoilers, the premise for this season seems like it could be the most interesting by far. As of yet, however the episodes have been fairly unremarkable. I very much hope the show can find it's feet again because it could be the best season yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment