Tuesday 23 March 2010

Akira

I first watched this film several years ago. I think I was around sixteen and had only just started to hear about anime. I didn't know much about it, but the name Akira popped up a lot and so I thought I'd give it a go. It really creeped me out. And rightly so, it's not a film for the feint of heart. Since then, I've had strange feelings towards it - part fear and part dislike. The experience I had watching the film only left me with a bad taste in the mouth and I couldn't say it was a film I liked or enjoyed.

I'm a fair bit older now and I wondered what I might think, now that I have age and wisdom on my side. After having rewatched it, I don't think my discomfort was at all unwarranted. I can completely see how I felt so disgusted and terrified. In fact, I think that's how you're supposed to feel. If you don't, you might want to seek help. Nevertheless, I think now I can say that I really loved it.

The plot is pretty simple, but not obvious. It's quite easy to get lost as very little is explained about who people are and what the world is like. This can be quite confusing if you're watching this for the first time. This is the case with many anime I've watched and the only remedies I know are to just watch it twice or read the wikipedia page. This actually works in it's favour as it allows more time to focus on the story. I hate films that patronise you by explaining every single in and out of the plot as if you can't just figure it out for yourself. Here, the integrity of the fictional world comes first. If the characters know what's going on and you don't, tough. You'll just have to use that grey stuff and work it out.

The world itself is just incredible. There really is some great artwork on display here. Neo-Tokyo has this dark, dystopian vibe that for some reason doesn't seem to exist in films anymore. I guess that was the 80s vision of the future - all black, neon and people dressed like futuristic punks. You just don't see the style that films like Alien, The Terminator and Blade Runner used any more. We just get this (Wait, surely I'm not that old that I'm already harking on about the good ol' days. I wasn't even born when any of those films came out).

This film really did take this concept far further than any of those examples. This was one of the (if not most) darkest settings I've seen on screen. Gang culture, political instability and frequent acts of violence. Take every possible social problem you can think of, mix it all together and you've got Akira's Neo-Tokyo.

The most obvious theme is that of 'power'. Tetsuo and Kaneda's relationship is imbalanced, leading to Tetsuo's inferiority complex. As he discovers his new abilities, Tetsuo seeks to reverse this dynamic, leading him to cause incredible damage to the world around him. This power was only granted to him by those who wished to exploit him and his power. The scientist seeks knowledge, the Colonel seeks military strength and the politicians seek money and well, more political power. The whole film involves all these elements colliding together, all struggling to gain this power as the world falls apart around them. It's Nero playing the fiddle as Rome burned.

There's a lot of obvious reference to the creation of the A-bomb and the danger that power has. The film was written during the Cold War and there's definitely a lot of that fear of a dark future worked into it. The opening sequence shows the destruction of Tokyo during World War III, a reference to the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Pretty bleak stuff.

It's handled really quite well too, in a melodramatic sort of way. Nezu is laughable at times, because he's just so over-the-top, but the message gets through.

On that note actually, I far recommend the Japanese to the English dub. In fact, as a general rule with anime, Japanese > English. The exceptions that prove the rule are the really big budget films like Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke. Studio Ghibli films are mostly high standard. Most others just suck. I don't know where they get these people, but the English voice actors sound like they've never acted before in their lives. Every character is just overplayed. I cringe at the thought of Nezu in that version.

Whichever version you watch, you're in for an interesting ride. Amazing atmosphere and powerful story-telling. You will feel uncomfortable, you will be shocked and that's the point. If you like this, check out the manga too. From the little I've read it's even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment