Thursday 18 March 2010

Brick

I first heard of this film from a friend who quite simply described it as 'noir, but in a high school'. A succinct and accurate analysis, but also hard to know what to expect. To be equally succinct, I loved it.

This idea of 'noir with teenagers' isn't exactly new. I loved Veronica Mars, a show that uses many elements of noir in its story-telling and presentation. Nevertheless, I was surprised to see how well the 'noir' story translated into this setting. The melodrama, promiscuity and the drugs seemed quite plausible when there are hormonal timebombs involved.

In fact, the more I thought about it, the more the high school setting seemed perfect. The traditional American highschool has always represented unfairness, brutality and hierarchy. Well, at least that's what TV has led me to believe. Highschool has always seemed like an incredibly harsh environment.

The highschool in Brick is a microcosym of society in the early 20th Century. The jocks and cheerleaders represent the elite and amoral upper class, whilst the poor, unpopular loners play thugs and small-time criminals. Maybe I've become too cynical about American highschools but the violence and crime seems to fit well. I'm reminded of Columbine, scenes from Elephant and The Wire, all of which highlight the potential of young American adults to commit acts of violence.

Nonetheless, this isn't real. Highschool rivalries and friendships don't generally lead to betrayal and murder. The best way I can think to describe this is 'highschool on crack'. Feelings and relationships pushed to extremes, and with equally extreme results.

There are some really powerful emotional scenes, such as Brendan finding the body and his eventual grief-induced breakdown. However, the film doesn't take itself completely seriously. There are several moments during the film in which I laughed aloud. Most of this humour is entirely visual, done by set design, clothing or character movement that's reminiscent of silent cinema and vaudeville.

The dialogue is fast and very witty and there's some demonstration of self-awareness in regard to the contrived set-up. Teenagers are not adults and yet they play them - it's all a bit Bugsy Malone (but actually good). The scenes with Brendan and the Assistant Vice Principal in particular are very funny.

"You got a discipline issue with me, write me up or suspend me! [turns to walk away] I'll see you at the Parent Conference."

This balancing act between comedy and drama, is incredibly difficult to maintain, yet the film does it throughout without compromising either element. A thoroughly entertaining story, brilliant dialogue, acting and interesting direction. The film also deservedly won the Special Jury Prize for Originality of Vision at Sundance. Highly recommended.

2 comments:

  1. HELLO! First comment!

    Very nice corner of the internet you have here...

    I'm glad you enjoyed the film. For me, the dialogue was the big reason I loved it so much. Cool + Ridiculous = Awesome. Also, the scene between Gordon-Levitt and his doomed girlfriend... pretty much distilled everything that noir is about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete